SCG Legal is an association of more than 140 independent law firms serving businesses in all 50 U.S. state capital cities and in capital cities and major commercial centers around the world. There are nearly 12,000 attorneys practicing in SCG Legal member firms, and more than 6,000 attorneys in the U.S. member firms alone.
The U.S. member firms organized in 1989 to better serve their clients in sharing information about the practice of law before state legislative, judicial, and executive bodies. Seventeen former governors from both major political parties who had returned to the practice of law took the lead in forming the organization. Today, the firms count among their members numerous former governors, attorneys general, and state legislative and administrative agency leaders. The firms serve many regional, national, and international companies in a full range of legal services.
SCG Legal is in a unique position to provide accurate and comprehensive information about activities in every state capital. It provides an organized, efficient, trustworthy resource to identify local counsel, and can assist businesses with government relations matters, litigation coordination, and multi-jurisdictional regulatory concerns in all 50 states and around the globe.
Membership is strictly by invitation. Firms are invited to join only after demonstrating their commitment to rendering uniformly high-quality service, industry leadership and a willingness to contribute the time and effort necessary to strengthen the group. Candidacy is informed by recommendations from clients and colleagues, by professional memberships, writing and teaching experience, and by community service, honors and rankings.
Member firm attorneys benefit from being able to:
- Obtain legal advice from multiple jurisdictions quickly;
- Coordinate regional legal services effectively;
- Reach decision makers in every capital city in the United States and in capital cities and major business centers around the world;
- Organize multijurisdictional legal team; and
- Access local experience and connections across the globe.
In 1989, 17 former state governors and their law firms founded SCG Legal. These former governors included members of both major political parties in the United States. SCG Legal today remains a strictly nonpartisan organization. SCG Legal’s advisory board of former governors includes:
- George Ariyoshi, former Governor of Hawaii, Kobayashi, Watanabe, Sugita, Kawashima & Goda
- Richard H. Bryan, former Governor of Nevada and former U. S. Senator, Lionel Sawyer & Collins
- Kenneth M. Curtis, former Governor of Maine and former U. S. Ambassador to Canada, Curtis Thaxter
- Pierre du Pont, IV, former Governor of Delaware, Richards, Layton & Finger
- Anthony S. Earl, former Governor of Wisconsin, Quarles & Brady
- James Hunt, former Governor of North Carolina, Poyner & Spruill
- Richard Lamm, former Governor of Colorado, O’Connor & Hannan
- Philip Noel, former Governor of Rhode Island, Coffey, McGovern & Noel
- Richard W. Riley, former Governor of South Carolina and former U. S. Secretary of Education, Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough
- William F. Winter, former Governor of Mississippi, Jones Walker
Also instrumental in SCG Legal’s formation, are the following former goverrnors, all or whom are now deceased:
- Wendell Anderson, former Governor of Minnesota, Larkin, Hoffman, Daly & Lindgren
- Brendan T. Byrne, former Governor of New Jersey, Carella, Byrne, Cecchi, Olstein, Brody & Agnello
- Edgar J. Herschler, former Governor of Wyoming, Saltzburg, Bonds & Rideout
- Scott M. Matheson, former Governor of Utah, Parsons Behle & Latimer
- Carl E. Sanders, former Governor of Georgia, Troutman Sanders
- John D. Spellman, former Governor of Washington, Carney Badley Spellman
- Charles Thone, former Governor of Nebraska, Erickson | Sederstrom
Staff and Governance
Chief Executive Officer David Poisson oversees the day-to-day operations of SCG Legal. For more information about SCG Legal membership, please send him an email or call (202) 659-6601.